Got questions about Radio? We have answers.
- On average, Radio holds more than 92% of its lead-in audience during commercial breaks:
- One-Minute Pod - 99.6%
- Two-Minute Pod - 94.7%
- Three-Minute Pod - 88.5%
- Four-Minute Pod - 87.7%
- Five-Minute Pod - 89.4%
- Six-Minute Pod - 87.9%
- Radio audience levels do not drop significantly between the third, fourth, fifth and sixth minutes of a commercial break.
- Commercial breaks during morning drive hold more than 94% of the lead-in audience.
- Morning drive holds more than 94% of the lead-in audience during breaks ranging from one to six minutes.
- Midday is the next "best" daypart for retention of lead-in audience during commercial breaks. For shorter pods of one to two minutes, midday commercial breaks retain 95% of the lead-in audience.
- Implications for Advertisers:
- Advertisers should recognize that Radio is a commercial-friendly medium.
- Advertisers should not be overly concerned about their position in Radio commercial breaks.
- Advertisers should not be particularly concerned about commercials running in afternoon drive and weekends since commercial audience levels in those times are also high.
- The high level of audience retention during commercial breaks in the morning-drive daypart suggests greater listener engagement in the morning and substantiates the value of morning-drive-inventory.
Source: What Happens When the Spots Come On