Radio, with its human voice to convince, can be used as a branding medium.
- Citigroup believes in Radio's strengths. According to John Mittnacht of Citigroup: "Brands are consumed locally; radio influences local behavior better than any other medium." (Source: RAB NY Radio Forum)
Advertisers use DJ endorsements to build trust, and drive business and website traffic.
- ING Direct used this tactic and experienced a record number of accounts opened in one day -- incremental accounts per day were up 353 percent. (Source: RAB ING Case Study)
- Fletcher Whitwell, corporate media director for R&R Partners, said he saw a recent mid-six-figure buy for Las Vegas Tourism across eight major markets over-deliver on impressions and ratings, thus prompting the advertiser to re-up its investment with those stations. (Source: AdAge 10.26.09)
- According to Pamela El, State Farm's VP-marketing, the "50 Million Pound Challenge" website saw spikes upwards of 10,000 to 12,000 people whenever personality Steve Harvey mentioned it on-air, a sign that his active following was engaging with the program in real-time. (Source: AdAge 10.26.09)
Radio and DJ endorsements are great at reaching a large number of consumers and getting them to your store.
- Vernon Powell Shoes attributes Radio's "voices" as a traffic driver to their retail locations.(Source: Footwear News 5.09)
Host endorsements typically drive a 400% increase in response over non-endorsed spots. (Source: RobinsonRadio Networks)
David West, CEO of Hershey's, attributes Hershey's earnings success in substantial measure to its use of Radio.
- The brands have successfully used Radio to tie retailers into on-air contests, programming and DJ endorsements as well as managing local events and station appearances at retail. Radio spend has nearly doubled and is derived from a shift from online, newspaper and outdoor spending.
Endorsements brought to life a number of different ways, customized by brand:
- Authentic chatter inside their shows
- Personal experiences conveyed to listeners
- Recorded commercials and PSA's
- On-air mentions/billboards/promos