Back
RAB Mobile
Who Buys Source

A 2011 study by The Vision Council estimates that since 1996, when refractive surgery/LASIK became a viable vision correction alternative, approximately 11.1 million American adults have undergone a refractive surgery or LASIK procedure.

VisionWatch, 2011

According to research by The Vision Council, of the approximately 11.1 million U.S. adults who have had a LASIK or refractive surgery procedure since 1996, 54.5% have been women and 45.5% have been men. Regarding the income level of these patients, 57.9% came from households earning $60,000 and above, while households earning under $60,000 accounted for the other 42.1%.

VisionWatch, 2011

Based on the results of the U.S. National Health and Nutrition Study, which noted the increasing rate of myopia, more than 65 million Americans are LASIK candidates.

Cataract & Refractive Surgery Today, 2011

Factors indicating a poor candidate for laser eye surgery: Major illness or autoimmune disease; eye problems other than needing glasses; a vision prescription that has changed in the past year; needing a very high prescription (thick glasses) or a very minor one; pupils that are extra large in dim conditions; thin corneas; very dry eyes.

U.S. Food and Drug Administration, 2011


Why They Buy Source

The correction of myopia accounts for almost 85% of refractive surgery procedures in the U.S.

Cataract & Refractive Surgery Today, 2011

According to a survey conducted by the American Academy of Ophthalmology and the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, 95% of LASIK patients are satisfied with the results of their procedure.

Daily Health Report, 2011

How They Buy Source

According to a survey conducted by AllAboutVision.com, the average price per eye for all laser-based vision correction procedures was $2,150 in 2010, compared to $2,105 in 2008 and $1,950 in 2006.

LASIK Surgery News, 2011

The price of LASIK and laser-based procedures depends on such factors as the type of laser technology that is chosen, the type of surgical instrument used, whether pre-op exams, follow-up visits and medications are covered in the fee, the experience/reputation of the surgeon, and the area of the country where the procedure is performed.

LASIK Surgery News, 2011

LASIK and other types of refractive surgery are usually considered "cosmetic procedures," and hence not covered by employers' medical insurance. However, each company sets its own policies, and there could be exceptions.

LASIK Surgery News, 2011

What They Buy Source

Surgical procedures aimed at improving the focusing power of the eye are called refractive surgery. In LASIK surgery, precise and controlled removal of corneal tissue by a special laser reshapes the cornea, changing its focusing power.

U.S. Food and Drug Administration, 2011

LASIK technology has continued to advance and evolve over the years, with better results and more options. The various options allow more people to qualify as acceptable candidates for refractive eye correction using laser technology. Laser eye surgery advancements and options include custom LASIK using Wavefront technology and blade-free LASIK utilizing an IntraLase laser.

About Laser Eye Surgery, 2011

A 2011 study by The Vision Council found that among the estimated 11.1 million American adults who have had LASIK/refractive surgery since 1996, 49.0% still use some sort of vision correction product (eyeglasses, contacts, etc.).

VisionWatch, 2011

According to a 2011 survey by Market Scope, roughly 1% of LASIK flaps were made with a laser nine years ago. Today, that figure is almost 70%.

Market Scope, 2011

Where They Buy Source

Among the largest chains of laser eye surgery clinics are TLC Vision Corporation (2010 sales of $230.2 million, down 16.5% from the prior year) and LCA-Vision Inc. (2010 sales of $99.8 million, 22.7% lower than the previous year). 

Hoover's, 2011

Business Trends Source

The number of laser vision correction procedures reached a peak in both 2000 and 2007, when approximately 1.4 million operations were performed each year. In 2009 and again in 2010, the number of LASIK procedures dropped to just under 800,000. The primary reasons for the decline are economic, since vision correction is seen as a form of discretionary spending.

Cataract & Refractive Surgery Today, 2011

A 2011 study by All About Vision revealed that many surgical vision centers hurt by low demand for LASIK and other procedures are now expanding cataract surgery offerings to help increase profitability.

All About Vision, 2011