Back
RAB Mobile
Who Buys Source

Profiling adults 18+ who consumed non-carbonated bottled water in the past six months:

GfK MRI, 2013

Of those adults 18+ who drank non-carbonated bottled water in the past six months, 53.8% were women and 46.2% were men.

GfK MRI, 2013

Adults 18+ who drank non-carbonated bottled water in the last six months, by age group: 18-24, 15.1%; 25-34, 19.7%; 35-44, 18.8%; 45-54, 19.5%; 55-64, 14.7%; 65+, 12.2%.

GfK MRI, 2013

Adults 18+ who drank non-carbonated bottled water in the previous six months, by income level: $100,000+, 27.0%; $75-99,999, 14.0%; $60-74,999, 10.7%; $50-59,999, 8.1%; $40-49,999, 8.7%; $30-39,999, 9.5%; $20-29,999, 9.1%; under $20,000, 12.9%.

GfK MRI, 2013

Adults 18+ who drank non-carbonated bottled water in the last six months, by region: Northeast, 20.1%; Midwest, 17.3%; South, 39.4%; West, 23.2%.

GfK MRI, 2013

Adults 18+ who drank non-carbonated bottled water in the past six months, by race: White, 69.7%; Black, 13.9%; Other, 16.4%; Hispanic origin, 16.9%.

GfK MRI, 2013

Adults 18+ who drank non-carbonated bottled water in the last six months, by marital status: Single, 30.0%; married, 53.1%; separated/widowed/divorced, 16.9%.

GfK MRI, 2013



How They Buy Source

The retail sale of bottled water to consumers accounts for approximately 88% of the bottled water market, with the home and office delivery segment accounting for the remaining 12% of the business.

International Bottled Water Association, 2014

What They Buy Source

For the year 2013, the best-selling brands of bottled water sold through supermarkets, drug stores, gas/convenience stores and mass merchandise stores (excluding Wal-Mart), by dollar amount (totals in millions), with change from 2012 in parentheses: 1. Private Label, $1,859.0 (+11.3%); 2. Dasani, $916.2 (+1.7%); 3. Nestle Pure Life, $907.6 (-3.4%); 4. Aquafina, $849.3 (-5.2%); 5. Poland Spring, $571.0 (+1.2%); 6. Glaceau vitaminwater, $556.4 (-18.0%); 7. Glaceau smartwater, $545.4 (+12.0%); 8. Deer Park, $403.3 (-2.0%); 9. Ozarka, $316.1 (-1.5%); 10. Fiji, $247.0 (+6.4%).

Beverage World, 2014

Domestic non-sparkling (non-carbonated) brands accounted for 96% of total bottled water volume in 2013, with domestic sparkling and imported brands making up the remaining 4%.

Beverage Marketing Corp., 2014

Sales of value-added water dropped 6.6% in 2013. This segment is comprised of the enhanced or functional waters, such as vitaminwater and flavored waters.

Beverage Marketing Corp., 2014

Where They Buy Source

Countries with the highest per capita consumption of bottled water in 2013 ( in gallons): 1. Mexico, 67.3; 2. Thailand, 59.5; 3. Italy, 51.9; 4. Belgium/Luxembourg, 39.1; 5. Germany, 38.0; 6. United Arab Emirates, 37.3; 7. France, 36.5; 8. United States, 32.0; 9. Spain, 31.9; 10. Hong Kong, 31.2.

Beverage Marketing Corp., 2014

Countries with the highest consumption totals of bottled water in 2013 (in billions of gallons): 1. China, 10.418; 2. United States, 10.130; 3. Mexico, 8.235; 4. Indonesia, 4.825; 5. Brazil, 4.797; 6. Thailand, 3.985; 7. Italy, 3.175; 8. Germany, 3.109; 9. France, 2.409; 10. India, 1.035. 

Beverage Marketing Corp., 2014

Business Trends Source

Dollar sales of bottled water totaled $12.287 billion in 2013, a 4.0% one-year gain when compared to 2012 sales of $11.816 billion (a 6.7% increase over 2011). Sales of bottled water totaled just $8.526 billion in 2003. Volume-wise, bottled water sales increased 4.7% in 2013 to 10.130 billion gallons, following a 6.2% gain in 2012.

Beverage Marketing Corp., 2014

Per capita consumption of bottled water in the U.S. reached a new high of 32.0 gallons in 2013, up from 30.8 gallons in 2012 and 29.2 gallons in 2011. Per capita consumption of bottled water was 21.6 gallons in 2003.

Beverage Marketing Corp., 2014

Bottled water claimed a 33.5% share of the overall liquid refreshment beverage market in the U.S. in 2013, in terms of volume. Bottled water trailed only carbonated soft drinks in market share for 2013, with soft drinks owning a 42.7% share of the business.

Beverage Marketing Corp., 2014