Preparedness / Emergency Response
Hurricanes and tornadoes, floods, fires, blizzards and blackouts - disasters can strike anywhere, at any time! The first place many Americans turn when disaster strikes is to their local Radio stations.
Is your station prepared to handle an emergency situation? RAB offers this Disaster Preparedness/Emergency Response area with references that can help any Radio operator make sure all systems are set up to alert listeners of impending perilous conditions, then follow up with help for emergency responders and civilians as they cope with catastrophe.
American Red Cross Advertising Resources:
Ad Council Public Service Announcements (PSAs)
In the event of an actual disaster, check the Ad Council site and the American Red Cross site for announcements on specific relief efforts.
Latest Disaster Preparedness Articles
|View||FACEBOOK ADDS TOOL TO TELL FRIENDS YOU'RE SAFE DURING NATURAL DISASTERS||10/17/14||THE WALL STREET JOURNAL|
|View||STAY SAFE: PROTECT YOUR HOME AND FAMILY FROM DISASTER||10/15/14||USA TODAY|
|View||DISASTER INSURANCE: GOING IT ALONE||06/23/14||THE WALL STREET JOURNAL|
|View||WHAT'S THE 2014 HURRICANE OUTLOOK GOT TO DO WITH YOUR STORE?||05/29/14||HOME CHANNEL NEWS|
|View||THE CAPITALISM OF CATASTROPHE||04/07/14||THE NEW YORK TIMES|
|View||FOR CALIFORNIANS, 2 QUAKES PUT PREPAREDNESS BACK ON THE MAP||03/31/14||THE NEW YORK TIMES|
|View||POWER GRID PREPAREDNESS FALLS SHORT, REPORT SAYS||03/13/14||THE NEW YORK TIMES|
|View||CITING URGENT NEED, U.S. CALLS ON HOSPITALS TO HONE DISASTER PLANS||03/12/14||THE NEW YORK TIMES|
- Click Here to visit RAB's Articles on Demand library where you'll find more articles about Disaster Preparedness.
- Click Here to visit RAB's Articles on Demand library where you'll find the latest articles about Disaster Aftermath/Emergency Response.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Emergency Response and Preparedness
- Children and Tragedy (Magellan)
- Coping with the Aftermath of a Flood (Magellan)
- Coping with Tornadoes (Magellan)
- Disasters & Emergencies - US Department of Health & Human Services
- Disaster Relief Agencies, The Disaster Center
- Disaster Relief Agencies, Managerial Technologies Corp. (MTC) Library
- Earthquake and Tsunami Relief
- Farm Aid Disaster Fund
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Homeland Security
- Hurricane Preparedness and Resource Guide (Magellan)
- Missing Pet Partnership
- National Weather Service
- Small Business Association
- State Offices and Agencies of Emergency Management
- Survivors of Disasters (Magellan)
- US Department of Agriculture Disaster Relief
- US Environmental Protection Agency
Other Sites of Note
The following sites offer information and tips on preparing for and surviving all sorts of disasters, as well as guidance in giving to charities following an emergency or volunteering for the relief effort. All will be helpful to Radio stations in putting together their local plans and promoting safety tips and preparedness to their audiences.
- American Family Safety
- Charity Navigator - Your Guide to Intelligent Giving
- Family Disaster Planning
- Federal Alliance for Safe Homes (FLASH)
- Federal Citizen Information Center (FCIC): A Citizen Guide to Disaster Preparedness
- MetLife Disaster Preparation
- New York State Department of Health
- Ready.gov (part of Homeland Security)
- Salvation Army
During 2004, the most destructive hurricane season in American History, Arbitron conducted a benchmark study among residents of the Gulf Coast region about their media choices and use of Radio. Five years later, this research still provides powerful insights into how Radio can be an effective resource during disastrous events.
Arbitron: Riding Out the Storm
American Red Cross Wildfires Radio PSAs