||Top Digital Trends for 2012
A recent report from eMarketer lists trends and projections for digital usage and marketing for the rest of the year. Many of the trends have significant impact on radio and other media, with the top trends revolving around mobile and online video.
The top tends for 2012 compared to the year before in the U.S.:
According to eMarketer, video is the fastest-growing segment of online advertising, and for good reason. The amount of online and mobile video content
is exploding, and most of this content is supported by some type of video spot -- typically an in-stream ad or overlay.
Smartphone users will increase from 90 million to 107 million. Market penetration will reach 44% of mobile phone users.
- Adult ereader users will increase from 33 to 46 million. 24% of Internet users will use an ereader.
- Tablet users will grow from 34 to 55 million. Nearly one-out-of-four Internet users will use a tablet.
- Online video viewers will grow from 158 to 169 million with 71% of Internet users viewing online video
- Mobile video viewers will rise from 45 to 55 million. One-out-of-three online video viewers will watch on a mobile device.
- Online video ad spending will reach $3.1 billion, up from $2.2 billion.
Further, non-video content is often supported by in-page video ads that expand when the user clicks on them. Video ads are considered more engaging and effective than static banners.
(Source: John Potter, VP/Training, RAB)