Sales Tip - Successful Cold Calling
1. Do lots of research: LinkedIn, Jigsaw, press release, etc. Do not call someone unless you have background info.
2. Keep it short on the phone. Push for a face-to-face meeting.
3. Don't ask insincere questions in an initial calll; e.g., "How are you today?" I find it hard to avoid doing this. It just feels polite.
4. Make sure you know exactly what you are trying to accomplish and the steps to get there. Gently steer the conversation toward your goals. Don't wait for the prospect to take you there.
5. Don't get discouraged. I used to make 100 phone calls for every 2 people I got on the line. Eventually the law of large numbers will catch up with you and you will find the right person with the right need.
Source: Nate Potter, Senior Account Manager, Honeywell