- The average spot break is 3.5 minutes in length.
- On average, radio holds more than 93% of its lead-in audience during commercial breaks.
- One-Minute Break - 100%
- Two-Minute Break - 99%
- Three-Minute Break - 96%
- Four Minute Break - 92%
- Five Minute Break - 87%
- Six+ Minute Break - 85%
- Commercial breaks during morning drive deliver an average of 97% of the lead-in audience.
- Music stations deliver 90% of the lead-in audience among 35 to 64 year olds.
- Audience levels remain high on spoken word stations and deliver 97% of the lead-in audience among 18 to 34 year olds.
- Audience levels are high during commercial breaks among Black and Hispanic listeners and on ethnic-targeted music stations.
- Radio delivers 94% of its lead-in audience among Black listeners 6+.
- Radio delivers 92% of its lead-in audience among Hispanic listeners 6+.
- Commercial break audience delivery is consistent throughout the year.
- Implications for Advertisers:
- Advertisers should recognize that radio is a commercial-friendly medium.
- Advertisers should not be overly concerned about their position in radio commercial breaks.
Source: What Happens When the Spots Come On, 2011 Edition - Nielsen Audio, Media Monitors, and Coleman Insights