Keeping it positive
The old sales axiom that people buy from people they like is true; buying is a very emotional experience. Having a negative attitude makes you less likeable and approachable as a salesperson. Sometimes the biggest sales challenges can be overcome with the proper attitude.
Source: Orion Wolff, sales advisor
That said, how do you maintain a positive attitude when times are tough? Sure, it's easy to maintain a positive attitude when you're over quota and things are going well; anyone can do this. But true sales professionals maintain a positive attitude despite their challenges and setbacks. The consummate sales professional knows that maintaining a positive attitude will help him/her to overcome adversity and achieve his/her objectives.
Here are five simple tips to maintain a positive attitude in difficult times:
1. Don't dwell on your losses. Realize that you will win some and lose some and the next opportunity is around the bend. Dwelling on the past keeps you from living in the present and achieving your goals.
2. Recognize that you bring value to your clients. It's more than your product or service. It's the benefit of doing business with YOU. Help your customers to understand why they should do business with YOU and not someone else.
3. Remember your successes. Realize that you can achieve excellence by repeating positive behaviors and actions. Pay attention to what you did in the past when you experienced success. Harness those behaviors.
4. Avoid time wasters. Don't waste your precious time on naysayers and negative thinking. Associate with those who have similar goals and ambitions. It's amazing what like-minded individuals can achieve when they combine forces.
5. Be genuine. By being genuine and putting others' needs before your own, you will benefit from sales.
Take the time to genuinely understand your clients' goals, fears and ambitions. It's your job to help them to succeed.